Między tradycją a nowoczesnością. Architektura nowego gmachu gimnazjum św. Elżbiety we Wrocławiu

File Description File size Downloads
pdf sobotka_70_2015_1_21-42 PDF
502 kB 61
Agnieszka 
Gryglewska
Między tradycją a nowoczesnością. Architektura nowego gmachu gimnazjum św. Elżbiety we Wrocławiu
[Między tradycją a nowoczesnością. Architektura nowego gmachu Gimnazjum św. Elżbiety we Wrocławiu]
[Between tradition and modernity. Architecture of the saint Elisabeth gymnasium building in Wroclaw]
s. 21-42; pp. 21-42
Summary p. 41; Zusamennfassung p. 42

The author analyzes in detail the architecture of the new building of the gymnasium of St. Elżbiety in Wroclaw (corner of J.W. Dawida and Joannitów streets, formerly Arletius and Malteserstraße). The original school, founded as a parish in 1293, from 1562 an evangelical gymnasium, was located “in the shadow of the church of St. Elizabeth “. It was moved to its current location in 1903. The new school building was designed by the architects Karl Klimm and Richard Plüddemann. It was built in 1901–1903, and significantly rebuilt in 1913–1914 and 1919–1921.
In terms of architectural decoration, painting and sculptural decoration as well as iconography, this building is considered one of the best examples of the “school” architecture of Wroclaw from around 1900. Its decoration refers to the Greek-Roman symbolism, philosophy, architectural forms and Mediterranean flora. His architecture was deeply rooted in tradition, combining forms characteristic of the turn of the 20th and 21st centuries with traditional motifs, which was characteristic of Wroclaw’s architecture at that time, distinguishing it from the widespread rebellion in Europe against ancient traditions combined with the search for new concepts.
The building survived World War II, although in 1941 a field hospital (Lazaretto) was established there. Currently it belongs to the University of Wroclaw (it houses Institutes of Pedagogy and Psychology).

99 Total Views 1 Views Today